Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Nightmare on the Hill and Round 4

Sorry for the delay in posting. I know that I thought I'd get something posted over the long weekend, but just didn't. Long story follows...



Thursday we went to see Dr. Blanke for a follow up visit regarding Marc's blood clot(s). He was very helpful and was willing to answer any questions we had - much like before. Only about 30% of people on chemo develop blood clots. It does not change the long term prognosis at all. Dr. B went to get the report from Legacy Hospital online and decided to send us "up the hill" to the anticoagulation clinic as this is their specialty. We are learning about specialties we never knew existed. Dr. B is a wonderful dr., but this time he stretched my endurance to the limit.



Up the hill refers to taking the tram literally up the hill to OHSU hospital. We then had to cross the street to another building and find the anticoagulation clinic. Let me back up. Marc was unsure if he should be putting weight on the leg so was using his crutches - left over from his knee surgery many moons ago. The tram was not crowded on the way up, the weather was beautiful, and the scenery was amazing - as long as you didn't look down.



When we walked through the building and outside, we had to go down a flight of stairs to cross the street. The last time I had been on the hill was when my Uncle Alden died so that added an emotional layer to the trip. I had forgotten that the two buildings were linked by a skybridge, but wouldn't have known what level to find that on anyway as the hospital is built on a hill and you enter on the 9th floor. Confusing to say the least.



By the time Marc got down the stairs, across the street and into the other building he was exahausted. We then had to find an elevator to the 3rd floor and find check in 3. We managed to locate the correct place without much trouble. However, the girl at the desk was brand new. She had no idea who we were or why we were there. We thought someone down below had called and gotten us an appointment or at least told them we were coming. The girl at the desk went to get someone to deal with us (me really as Marc needed to sit down in the waiting area). The lady came out and kept saying "this is not a walk-in clinic." I tried to tell her we didn't mean to be walk-ins, but were sent there by a dr. Long story short, she took pitty on us and fit us in her schedule.



Marc has to be on Warfarin (generic for Coumadin) for at least three-six months maybe longer. It needs to be taken in the evening on an empty stomach, but at the same time each day. He needs to eat foods high in vitamin K consistently daily. Because it was a holiday weekend coming up - of course it was we had surgery right before Memorial Day, started chemo around the 4th of July, and now this at Labor day - he couldn't start taking the medicine that day, but had to wait till Saturday. Which meant he had to keep giving himself shots until yesterday (he hated this more than anything else he has had to do so far). The Warfarin takes a couple days to kick in. Then he has to have his blood tested five days in a row to make sure the dosage is correct. Then he has to have bloot tests weekly for the remainder of the time he is on the medication. It is trickier to regulate because of the chemo. She also gave Marc a prescription for compression stockings.



On the way back down the hill, there was a group of Japanese university students on the Tram with us. It was packed hot and I managed to hold it together, but for someone who hates heights and is claustrophobic, it was about all I could do to ride down.



Once back in the car we decided to pick up the stockings and get it taken care of all at the same time. The lady had recommended we go to a lingerie shop call Just Like a Woman. She said they take the time to measure and fit the stockings and have them in stock. It was a beautiful shop. They have pretty panties and bras and I may go back there someday myself. It is on Macadam about 10 minutes from the bottom of the tram. Stockings in hand, we headed for home.



I was an emotional wreck by the time we finished the day. My sister and friends did a nice job of picking up the pieces. Plus I was babysitting Masen that night so I got to play with a 20 month old and not think about anything else for a while.



Friday and the weekend are a blur of getting my classroom ready for 28 second graders and getting our two kids and myself ready for school to start. Most of the school shopping was done. We just needed to get groceries and take care of laundry. Marc went to Winco and I took Trader Joe's.



People keep asking about the kids. This is the classic answer. Monday night Rose and I were headed to Fred Meyer to pick up last minute things. She was going on and on about how she couldn't believe school was starting and summer was over. Then she said, "This has been a really uneventful summer." I burst out laughing.



My first day of school started out great. The kids actually know how to do things. I love second graders. All 28 of them. By the end of the day we were all tired and beginning to unravel. We lined up to go out front. There was a mob - I mean mob - of parents and siblings waiting to pick kids up. Remember this is a brand new school. We are putting together procedures as best we can without experiencing things first. I walked about 20 feet out of the building, turned and looked and all but about 3 or 4 of my kids had vanished into the crowd. It was horrifying. They all came back today so they must have been picked up by the right people. We did things a bit differently today and it was much better.



I did get a note in my box today to send home with the kids about curriculum night next Tuesday. Next Tuesday? The teachers will do two presentations that evening in their classrooms so parents can get to the classrooms of two kids. Really? This was news to me...seriously, can we please just try to get through the beginning of a year in a new school. Could we not have waited one more week? Oh well, what's the saying? In for a penny, in for a pound. or something like that... The technology makes it all worthwhile. Love the microphone system! The document camera! The computer that doesn't freeze multiple times daily. Ok, I'll do a curriculum night presentation twice. At least I already knew about the dedication/community open house in October. That one won't be a surprise.



Marc's 4th round of chemo was today. His friend Georgia, from martial arts, took him down. I picked him up when I finished school. It has hit hard and quickly this time. My sister ordered us a book from Amazon about cooking and eating during chemo. It has some helpful information and lots of yummy recipes in it.



I cannot say enough times that we would not make it through this without the support of each and every one of you. The roles you play are so vital. From the prayers to the logistical help. From the emails to the listening ears. You are our strength.

No comments: